Tuesday, March 3, 2009

GOSPEL BOOGIE: SAM DAVIS AND THE GOSPEL ENSEMBLE

SAM DAVIS AND THE GOSPEL ENSEMBLE- KEEP ON PRAISING HIM- LP- CADA RECORDS- 1981
Another genre of music I used to not check for was gospel. I was brought up Catholic, albeit very liberally, but it was a semi-traumatic experience nonetheless, so the idea that people could make good, or even funky music in a religious environment was entirely foreign to me. That is until I worked up the strength to check out a few gospel records that I was told were dope. It takes a little time getting used to hearing people sing about Jesus over some funky music, but I figured that I've been listening to obscenity laced hip-hop music for my entire life, so I can handle a little church talk in my music as well. The title track to this LP is dope enough to convert, no pun intended, even the most stubborn listener with a super funky bassline, some crispy claps, and nice piano chords. Check it out a slightly shortened version of "Keep On Praising Him" below. And by the way, I got a copy of this LP up on ebay this week (a little shameless self promotion).

No comments: